Sunday 7 October 2012

Kicking things off with succulent shrimps

A challenge was set forth for me to blog my experiences regarding backing my stuff and relocating from wintery Finland to sunny Singapore (hence the title of the blog). I have been pondering on the challenge for a week and finally realized that if I don't start to document the peculiarities during the first weeks, I will loose my childlike sense of wonder sooner rather than later. Thus here we go...



Great Adventure is about to be embarked, yet I cannot shake the initial feeling of discomfort. The final words of my 6 year old son, just before I left my old home, were “Please hold me tightly, Dad, just one last time”. I will migrate myself first and my family follows me after a few months when I have settled in. But I have to wonder what have I just thrown myself into?

Then again on the very first evening dipping into hotel's infinity pool way above the roofs of nearby buildings and watching planes coming in closer and rolling out their landing gear almost at the touching distance makes me feel that I’m not in Kansas anymore -- or in Helsinki for that matter.

First experiment into eating out was obviously a positive one. But then again is there any real possibility for an epic failure when it comes to food in a city of whose habitants’ favourite pastime is eating out. It has also been said that there are absolutely no reasons for not eating well in Singapore. On the first evening it was Peranakan cuisine (let me google that for you: “Peranakan or Nonya cuisine combines Chinese, Malay and other influences into a unique blend”). Amazingly succulent shrimps with aromatic and spicy paste served on a bamboo leaf. Good stuff. This is, indeed, a start of an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment